For a long time now, I’ve been in a bit of trouble with my sister. She’s given me big lectures about having not named a pattern after her as yet. After all, I’ve named Nicola and Hannah after her two best friends, but not one after her. What kind of sister am I ?!? Well, to tell you the truth, it’s kind of like naming a baby. The pattern has to feel like the person that it’s named after. Then along came this little number.

This pattern was designed to be my dream dress come true. Personally, I can’t think of anything more comfortable, easy to wear and flattering than a wrap dress. I wanted to add a little bit of drama, and one way to do that is with a fabulous sleeve. For mood, I wanted to create something that had that easy romantic feel of a silk morning robe. You know, when you’re making your morning coffee and looking absolutely fabulous in a silk, drapey kimono? One can only dream! So put it all together and what have you got? Trina, my dream dress named after my favorite girl and my dream sister!

Trina is a classic wrap dress or tunic with kimono sleeves that add a simple elegance. The raglan construction of the sleeves makes them a cinch to sew. The cross over front bodice creates a V-neckline and features gathers above the bust. I wanted to create a fun and pretty way for the tie to exit from the inside when wrapping around the body so there’s a sneaky design detail at the side bodice where the front overlaps the back, allowing the tie to exit here. This is one of those details that’s a bit of a personal satisfaction, as it’s very subtly noticeable.

On a side note: When I was a little kid, I used to have these Clarks Magic Steps shoes. There was this whole mystical story behind the shoe. It involved a princess, an evil witch, a treasure box and a magic key. Anyhoo, underneath the shoe on the sole, there was a little key hidden by the heel, and it was soooo amazing because only I (feeling like the princess herself) knew about it. So this little side detail in the bodice gives me the same satisfaction. So hopefully you’ll know what I mean when you sew it up!

Version 1 allows you to create a tunic with the hemline ending just below the hip. The tie in this version is made with a contrasting fabric. For version 2, you can create a dress with a hemline ending just below the knee. You may choose to line the skirt portion of this dress.

Easy Construction:

I’ve categorized this pattern as easy instead of beginner or intermediate because it’s one of those styles that is quite simple to make but fabric choice will have a hand in dictating the complexity. It is suitable for an experienced beginner, in which case I would suggest using a fabric such as lightweight voile or double-gauze with a soft drape. However, using a fine fabric such as chiffon, georgette, charmeuse, crepe de chine or rayon challis will add a layer of difficulty to this pattern and may be more suitable for an intermediate sewer.

If you opt to make Trina in a light cotton or voile, it will be a great style for the day or even as a glamorous beach wrap! A fancier fabric will catapult this lady into a night-on-the-town territory.

I hope she soon becomes one of your dream dresses too!

1. Hilde:
    Sep 08, 2016 at 09:19 AM

This is close to my dream dress!
    Love the gathers and raglan and wrap!
    I wonder if it's difficult to change the sleeves to a slimmer fit though?
    Because I like the dramatic look but I don't think it's practical for myself as a SAHM

Sep 09, 2016 at 05:54 PM

Hi Hilde! I'm so happy to come close to your dream dress ;) There's lots of options for adjusting the sleeves. I've just posted an image of a version that one of the lovely ladies that tested the pattern for me made. In her version, she inserted elastic along the sleeve hem. You can check that out on my instagram feed to see what it looks like. I've also seen a beautiful version where the sleeve was shortened. And you could definitely make it more narrow. I hope that inspires you a bit ;)

2. Heather:
    Sep 08, 2016 at 09:46 AM

I bought this right away. I just bought the perfect fabric that I wanted to make a vintage style tea dress from and this will be perfect!!!. Can't wait to make it!

Sep 09, 2016 at 05:55 PM

Hey Heather, Thanks so much and I'm thrilled to hear your enthusiasm! I'd love to see your dress when it's done :)

3. Betty Jordan Wester:
    Sep 08, 2016 at 05:03 PM

It's lovely! And it reminds me of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries!

Sep 09, 2016 at 05:56 PM

That's so true! Everyone's been saying that, and I hadn't even thought of it until now. Such a compliment, she's such an iconic character!

4. Francesca:
    Sep 09, 2016 at 04:10 AM

OMG I love it! Any chance it will be a paper pattern soon like the rest? I hate putting them together....

Sep 09, 2016 at 05:58 PM

Hi Francesca, we'll don't have a date for the printed pattern as yet but we're hoping to print it in the spring. I'm sorry it won't be sooner. The pattern also comes with 36" copy copy and A0 formats for large scale printing.

1. Francesca:
        Sep 12, 2016 at 04:25 AM

Thanks Kristiann! that makes it much easier:). Bought and downloaded:)

5. Yavanna Reynolds:
    Sep 10, 2016 at 02:18 PM

At first I thought this dress might be impractical for my life as a mama and preschool teacher, but I've been following your posts on Instagram and the version with the bishop sleeves sold me. THAT is a dress I could wear. I love the kimono sleeves, and the details with the wrap and the gathers, but kimono sleeves aren't the most practical in my life right now. Hopefully someday I can make a silky dream dress too. Either way I'm happy I bought this pattern!

6. Katie:
    Sep 12, 2016 at 07:50 PM

Hi Kristiann,

Love this pattern - absolutely gorgeous, though would probably do the bishop sleeve hack for a day dress, but I'm a size 10, and considerably more than a b cup - how could I alter the pattern for this? Extra pleats going into the raglan and a waist dart? Greatly appreciate your thoughts as would love to make...

Thanks,
    Katie

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Hi Katie,
      Thanks for reaching out about this. One of my testers did a full bust adjustment on her dress and she was really pleased with it. What I suggested to her was to expand the bodice front where the gathers are. You will be increasing the gathers over the bust. Secondly, I would suggest moving one of the notches along the sleeve edge where the bodices gathers connect. The notch to move will be the one closest to the sleeve hem. I would suggest moving it by approximately 1 inch, but then again, this is dependent on how much you are adding to the gathers for the bust adjustment. All in all, it's just a good idea to give a bit more breathing room for the gathers so that they aren't too condensed. If you have any further quesions about it, you can email me through my contact form. I'll be happy to help :) Good luck!

7. Mitch:
    Sep 17, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Is there a list of notions anywhere on the site? I have the pattern files on another computer, forgot to upload to the cloud, and want to see what else I need from my local fabric shop. Now going to find this bishop-sleeve version (I don't even know what a bishop sleeve is)!

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Hi Mitch, Yes there is a list of notions on the site. You can access this list by going to the Trina page in the pattern shop. Scroll down and hit "see sizing chart" The information will pop up there. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

8. Hilde:
    Oct 03, 2016 at 03:54 AM

I'm finally getting around to start this.
    If I go by my measurements, I would need a size 2 based on my high bust and do a 1 inch FBA ( I'm a C-cup in sewing sizes)

My waist needs a size 8. Usually it's easy to grade between sizes from bust to waist, but I'm not sure how to do it on this unusual bodice shape?

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Hi Hilde, If you can reach out to me through my contact form, I'll be able to send you an image tutorial which will explain how to grade between the sizes for this bodice. Thanks!

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:04 AM

9. Megan K:
    Nov 09, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Is this silk charmeuse or silk satin? I love the weight of it! Could you share with us where you bought it?

Nov 09, 2016 at 10:38 PM

Hi Megan, so glad you like the fabric. This is a light silk charmeuse and it's from The Fabric Room in Toronto.

10. Emily D:
    Nov 20, 2016 at 06:43 AM

Would this dress sew up ok in a stretch velvet or is this too heavy weight a fabric for this pattern?

Nov 20, 2016 at 03:54 PM

Hi Emily, I think this would be AMAZING in a stretch velvet. I've actually been dreaming of making one myself :) It will be fine if the fabric is heavier, just make sure that it has a nice drape. Another tip is to cut the Neckine Bias Facing (G) on the straight lengthwise grain (the one with the least stretch) in order to prevent the neckline from stretching out. I'd love to see it when it's done!

11. Emily D:
    Nov 21, 2016 at 05:24 AM

Amazing! I have a 1920s/1970s decadent black velvet gown in mind and love the look of this pattern. Thanks so much for the tips and encouragement, I will attempt to get this done in time for all the parties I intend to sashay around this winter! Thankyou from chilly England x

12. Susan:
    Nov 28, 2016 at 09:53 PM

This is by far the best PDF dress pattern available online, anywhere, period. Cannot wait to make it!!

Dec 05, 2016 at 09:08 PM

Oh WOW, thisis such a huge compliment. Thank you so much, Susan. I hope you love wearing making it and wearing it!

13. Erin:
    Jan 09, 2017 at 08:30 PM

This reminds me of the costumes from Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries... one of my favorites. I have some beautiful fabric that is just dying to become this dress.

14. Erik Theiss:
    Feb 09, 2017 at 01:22 PM

Will this be available to purchase as a printed pattern in the future? It's pretty awesome :o)

15. Michele:
    Feb 11, 2017 at 03:02 PM

Hi! I'm interested in making the dress version of Trina, but don't have enough fabric. Would it be possible to make the skirt portion less flared/full to maybe save on yardage? I'm wanting to use a crepe de chine so should still be somewhat flowy.....Thank you so much for any advice!

Feb 11, 2017 at 03:55 PM

Hi Michele, yes you can absolutely reduce the flare in the skirt. I've done so myself with a version that I made. Just make sure you're happy with the amount of fullness that you're adjusting it to. I hope it turns out beautifully!

Feb 11, 2017 at 03:56 PM

16. Nicola:
    Sep 01, 2017 at 04:05 PM

Would silk noile be an appropriate fabric choice?