Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 1

I'm really excited to introduce our newest pattern, Jackie!

This style is named after my beautiful mama, who has always been a muse and a source of creative inspiration for me. Of the countless amazing things about her, one thing I've always loved is the pride she takes in the simple act of getting dressed. She manages to be stylish, no matter if it's just to pop out to the grocery.

I think our moms create the foundation for how we dress. We learn the "rules" from them, and then perhaps we break them but for myself, as I'm older now, I definitely feel like I try to channel my mom circa 1970 when I'm getting dressed. She would probably say that I've completely missed the mark, as she questions most of my outfit choices, but we're talking "inspiration" here!

I've always loved looking at old photos of her in her 20's and imagine what she was like then, what made her laugh, and all the beautiful clothes that she would wear. I get very upset with her that she didn't save them for me so all I can do now is imagine, and design, and sew up something that may have been worthy of being in her wardrobe. So, for this new pattern I kept her in my mind and created a style that has just the right amount of classy vintage lady vibes that one might feel properly primped in, yet comfortable to wear while buying broccoli.

But first, what's a story without a couple of pics of the muse herself!

Jackie Boos

Pictures of my mom, my muse

Jackie Boos

Isn't she gorgeous?! And those sleeves!!!

Ok, now let's take a closer look at this pattern!

Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 1

Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 1

JACKIE is elegant, easy to wear, super comfortable knit dress that slips perfectly from day into night. And while I'm checking all the boxes, it's also easy to make! It features a built up neckline and shapely, figure-flattering seams that lengthen and emphasize your curves. It is fitted at the waist with a full, flowing skirt. A subtle opening at the back upper bodice closes at the neckline with three small buttons and rouleau loop closures.

This PDF pattern is classified as intermediate but could be suitable for a brave advanced beginner. The project uses both a serger and sewing machine. You can also make it with just a sewing machine.

You can make Jackie in two versions.

Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 1Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 2                            Version 1                                                          Version 2

Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 1
Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 1

Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 1

Version 1 features long sleeves and a full-length dress with a hemline ending just below mid calf.  This dress is a perfect dress for cooler days and nights!

Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 2
Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 2
Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 2

Version 2: Sleeveless mid-length dress with hemline ending just below the knee.

LEARN SOMETHING NEW:
This pattern is perfect if you're wanting to advance your skills in working with knits. There are lots of tips inside, and clear instructions to guide you at every step of the way. You'll learn how to

• Sewing a knit set sleeve
  • Sewing knit facing for a sleeveless finish
  • Several options for sewing with stretch on your sewing machine
  • Stabilizing knit seams
  • A beautiful method for clean finishing edges with a facing

My favorite way to wear this dress is with simple styling, just a good pair of earrings and a slim belt. It can hurt to have a subtle power pose!

Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 1

Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 1
Victory Patterns - Jackie knit dress Version 1

And of coarse, it looks super sleek without a belt!

If you'd like to add this little number to your wardrobe, click right here! And I hope Jackie becomes one of your favorites in no time!

Buy Jackie now button

1. Melissa:
    Mar 07, 2017 at 09:08 AM

This pattern is gorgeous! I can't wait to sew it up!

2. Francesca:
    Mar 07, 2017 at 09:45 AM

This is so freakin beautiful! I knew I'd love it from the instagram teasers - and when I saw the preview I was itching for it! Another stunner after Trina!

One question - when you say two-way stretch, is that US terminology? I know 2-way as being what is known as 4-way in the States (which led to a total waste of some beautiful jersey). ie vertically and horizontally. And one way as horizontally only like cotton jersey for instance. Since you're in Canada, I don't know if it's the same?

TIA, off to buy:)

Mar 07, 2017 at 11:05 AM

Hey Francesca,
      I'm thrilled that you love the pattern so much :) I know stretch terminology can be confusing. Two way stretch refers to stretch on the crosswise grain of the garment. Here's a little descriptor I pulled off the internet to describe the difference between types of stretch:

One-way stretch means a fabric will stretch on the crossgrain (side to side) but won't recover. Jersey and interlock knits without lycra are a prime example.

Two-way stretch means a fabric stretches on the crossgrain and also recovers. Hence the "two" part - stretch and recover. Jersey knits with lycra are a good example.

Four-way stretch means a fabric stretches and recovers both on the cross and lengthwise grains. Nylon/lycra swimsuit fabrics are an example of a four-way stretch fabric.

I have also made this pattern in a four way, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, however it produces a bit more of a "bouncy" garment when walking depending on the fabric weight.

I hope that helps, Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

3. Stephanie Doctora Botones:
    Mar 07, 2017 at 11:18 AM

WOW!! I love so much this gorgeous pattern. It has given me so much fun. I love the history about your mother and I REALLY love those sleeves!! Thanks for let me be part of this pattern! Regards!!!

4. Daniela S.:
    Mar 07, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Hi Kristiann,
    This is a beautiful dress. And your muse is gorgeous. :)
    If possible, can you please share a bit more about the fabrics you used for your samples. Specifically I am interested in the red knit (long sleeve version) and the flowery knit (sleeveless version).
    Thanks.

Mar 07, 2017 at 01:00 PM

Hi Daniela, Thank you so much! And yes, I can definitely share my fabrics with you, although it may be hard to track down unless you're in Toronto. In which case if you are, I'll tell you exactly where to go.

The red fabric is a dead stock vintage knit that I found from Dome Fabrics off of College street. There's also a little bit of stretch in the lengthwise grain. Unfortunately this shop is no online, but if you happen to be local, definitely pop by.

The yellow floral print is from Fabricland. I think many of their locations has this print at the moment, but you could also try contacting Rose E Dee, who are the suppliers to Fabricland.

I hope that can be of some help to you!
      Kristiann

5. Francesca Amodeo:
    Mar 07, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Thanks so much for your quick and helpful response: ). Can't wait to get it printer.. I have some lovely merino jersey which I think will work.

Your mother reminds me of Ali MacGraw. Gorgeous. No wonder you're so lovely.

Mar 07, 2017 at 08:44 PM

Oh Merino will be beautiful. One of my tester made it in that fabric and loved it! You can see it on Instagram if you look up @sewanemone.

Any you're so right, mom mom does have a look of Ali MacGraw. My Dad used to tell her that, too ;D Thanks for your sweet words! I hope the dress turns out beautifully! xo

6. Yavanna Reynolds:
    Mar 07, 2017 at 10:39 PM

I love this silhouette. I could see my mother wearing this dress back in her youth (she too was young in the 70s and 80s) only her belt would have been either very wide with an elastic back and a large buckle OR low slung on the hips...I can't wait to make mine. Its the kind of dress I could live in.

7. Sandy:
    Mar 09, 2017 at 06:31 AM

What a fabulous design, Kristiann. And those pics of your Mum are amazingly beautiful - you look sooo much like her! xx

Mar 14, 2017 at 08:49 AM

Thank you so much, Sandy! And isn't Mom so lovely?! Dad is a lucky guy ;)

8. Diana:
    Mar 09, 2017 at 09:50 AM

This is the MOST PERFECT -- I was just thinking about needing a good high-neck dress for summer! I cannot with how perfect this is, wow.

9. Francesca:
    Mar 13, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Me again with a question:). I need to grade out one size - bust one size, waist and hips another. Should I grade all the seams, or just the side seams, please?

Mar 14, 2017 at 08:47 AM

Hi Francesca,
      You should grade all the seams when grading in between sizes for this style. If you need further advice, I'm happy to help.

1. Francesca:
        Mar 14, 2017 at 09:01 AM

Thank you so much:). You are so sweet.