How to Sew Side Seam Pockets
It always makes me smile when I hear people exclaiming that a dress or skirt they've made has pockets. I get it, pockets do make a garment SO much better. And there's really no reason why you should have to go without them, because side seam pockets are a really easy addition to a garment, even if the pattern doesn't call for a pocket.
While this tutorial is part of the Sofia sew-along series, you can follow these steps if you're looking to add a pocket to just about anything. If you'd like to add a side seam pocket to a garment that you're making, here is a pattern that you can download.
- Apply the pocket fusing strips to the skirt along the side edges, with the glue side down onto the wrong side of the fabric. The interfacing strip will extend about 1/2" (1.3 cm) past the notches along the skirt's side edge.
- Finish the curved edges of the Pocket pieces with a serge or zig-zag stitch.
- Place the pocket right sides together onto the skirt. Align the notches and match points along the side edge.
- Pin and sew the pocket to the skirt at 3/8" (1 cm) seam allowance.
- Finish the side edges of the skirt/pocket with a serge or zig-zag stitch
- Turn the pocket away from the skirt and press along the seam.
- Place the skirt pieces right sides together. Align and pin the side edges of the skirt and the pocket.
- Sew along the skirt side edge and around the pocket's curved edge at 1/2" (1.3 cm) seam allowance. Start the stitch at the skirt hem and sew towards the pocket. Pivot at the match point and sew along the curve of the pocket. Pivot at the second match point and sew along the skirt's remaining side edge towards the waist.
- Designate one side of the skirt as your "front" side. Turn and press the pockets and the seam allowance towards the front of the skirt. On the right side of the skirt, press the side seam and the pocket opening.
Voila, you now have beautiful side seam pockets!
In the next post in the Sofia sewalong series, we'll be attaching the bodice and skirt together, sewing waistband elastic, and finishing the dress!
Leave a comment
Also in The Victory Patterns Blog
The Sofia pattern bell sleeve is a flowy bias-cut style that's paired with a shoulder strap, making it perfect if you're looking for a style that gives coverage for bra-straps. In this sew-along tutorial, I'll walk you through the steps of constructing this sleeve version.